Newborn Session Guide
Congratulations on the arrival of your new baby and thank you for choosing Luscia Sophia Photography to capture this incredibly special time in your lives.
Your session will take place in my Upper Makakilo (Kapolei) home studio.
I typically shoot my newborn sessions between 6 and 12 days of age. I ask that parents contact me after baby is born (either at the hospital or once your new family is settled in at home) and we will book your newborn session date/time. I keep weekday mornings (Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday) open for my newborn sessions and we usually start at 9am, although I am happy to shoot in the afternoon or Saturday if my schedule allows.
Wear cool and comfortable clothing, as the studio will be nice & warm. Neutral colors and tones always photograph well (although I do LOVE bright pops of color) and please avoid logos and distracting patterns on shirts. And just in case there are any small accidents, bringing an extra set of clothes is always a good idea. I like to allow plenty of time for feeding and cuddling during your session so plan to be here for between 2-4 hours. Throughout this time you may get hungry so I do recommend bringing snacks; there are several quick restaurants with to-go menus within minutes of the studio as well that parents often frequent during or after the session.
I have plenty of props for you to choose from and like to involve you in the styling of the session. If you have a special item you would like to incorporate, I would love for you to bring it along.
*Feed baby (full tummy=a sleep baby!) before driving to the studio and please keep baby in the carseat when you arrive if he/she is sleeping.
* Wear comfortable lightweight clothing as the temperature of the studio is kept warm for the comfort of your baby. Pack a spare change of clothes just in case there are any little accidents.
* Please dress in loose clothes that either snap or zip up (nothing that needs to be pulled over the head) and keep diaper loose.
* Bring a pacifier. Even if you do not intend on using one permanently, it is often convenient during pictures to keep baby calm and soothed for the 2-3 hours they will be taking photos. This is much easier than moving baby each time they need soothed. If you do not have one, I have new, sterilized ones that I keep on hand.
* Please bring a snack in case you get hungry throughout the session. I do have coffee/tea available and a water pitcher.
* If you’re formula feeding bring extra bottles/formula just in case.
This is a full service studio meaning that I will be changing baby's diapers, cleaning up any messes, soothing baby to sleep if I am able. I am happy to feed bottles if you pump/formula feed or if you are breastfeeding exclusively, please plan on feeding on demand during the session. Babies often eat more often during their newborn session than they do at home so please don't be surprised if they seem more hungry than usual. Your baby's safety and comfort during their newborn shoot is my #1 concern.
During the session, sit back and relax. I won't need much assistance, so take advantage of this time to rest (I'm sure you need it!).
In the mean time, if you have any questions at all regarding you baby's session please don't hesitate to contact me.
I look forward to meeting you and your family very soon!